Wednesday, July 6, 2011

American-can.

Some one had recently asked me how living abroad for this extended period of time has changed how I felt about America and Americans in general. My recent 4th of July post kind of touched on this but the question got me thinking about this topic.

The simple answer is "No". That would be a bit disingenuous. What living abroad does is throw in to contrast the differences between "here" and "there". So, while I might not feel much different about my countrymen (and women) and the nation in general, why I feel the way I do is much more clear.

Things I have always disliked about America: populist anti-intellectualism dominating the national discussion; the vocal minority of fundamentalist Christians dictating policy for the rest of the nation through their political mouth pieces; the strangely erotic fascination with guns; capitalism being elevated to the position of a pseudo-religion; unmitigated consumerism being seen as a kind of social attainment; sexism, mysogony and homophobia paraded in the guise of religion.

I am a Zen Buddhist and do not adhere to the Judeo-Christian belief system. I do not believe in Yaweh or that Jesus of Nazareth rose from the grave. To me these and connected beliefs are just as much myths as stories of Hercules and Zeus. In America, I always felt a bit of unease being openly "not Christian". There was the constant threat of somebody ready to pounce and proselytize at the mere hint of a non-believer. Living in the UK, I do not feel that kind of hostility. I am very openly Buddhist and can engage in discussion about what that means with friends and strangers alike without worry that somebody will try to "save" me. Escaping this pressure is a great relief.

Part of the consumerist mentality of America is the desire to consume everything. This is most clearly demonstrated by the American love affair with huge slabs of meat. Being carnivorous goes hand-in-hand with his mindset because it represents devouring another being. The ultimate act of consumption. Being a vegeterian is not the easiest task in America - not in the act of livin this lifestyle but due to how people react to it. A great many of my countrymen (and women) react almost violently upon learning that my family is vegetarian. I understand this is due to the fact that we're challenging their mass consumption world view but man it's tiring always having to explain why I won't eat something that possessed sentience of any kind. The UK is very veggie friendly. A large percentage of the population is vegetarian. Everybody knows at least a few vegetarians and it is treated as a normal lifestyle option. It is very liberating not to be treated an oddball everytime you go out to eat and have strangers question the ethics of your eating habits.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment